Monday, August 8, 2011

The Doctor Comes to Visit








Maggie and Me


It has been very busy here. A few days ago Mama noticed that Leggs' foot was hurting. She is a horse who lives here with her mother Abby and the rest of us. She brought her into the barn so that she wouldn't walk so much, and she laid down in the barn to rest her foot.


The next morning, Mama called the doctor. Because he is an animal doctor, he is called a "veterinarian", but Mama said I could just call him "the vet" 'cause it would be easier. He came to our house in a big truck to look at her foot. He checked it and told Mama that she had an "abscess" in her foot, and it would need to be cut open. Because he said it would hurt and that she needed to be still he gave her a shot to make her sleepy so he could take care of her foot. I was there, but I couldn't watch! He told Mama to get a bucket of warm water and soak it to help it heal quicker. Then the doctor gave her "vaccinations" to keep her from getting sick from other stuff. He also gave them to Abby, and a few hours later, Abby got really sick. So Mama called the doctor and he told her to give her a shot of medicine he had left for her to use if she needed to. After she got that shot, in a little while she started to feel better. She seems okay now, and I am glad. Mama would have been really sad if something had happened to Abby.


Today we went outside in the afternoon because it was cool. Mama took her picture maker(I think Mama said it was a "camera") because she said I needed pictures of my family on my blog. So Gabbi, O'Pea, and I got to go outside to eat and play while Mama made pictures of us. Gabbi doesn't feel like playing because it won't be much longer till her babies are born, so she is tired. O'Pea doesn't really play either, cause all he wants to do is EAT, as you can see in my first picture today.


After we had eaten for a while and I ran up and down the hill, Gabbi said it was time to go in. So we all went inside and Mama gave us grain and hay and fresh water. She sprinkled a few black things in our grain along with a little bit of green powder. She said the black things were sunflower seeds and would make my coat nice and shiny. The green powder was something called kelp, which Mama said gave us "micronutrients", whatever that is.


In a little while the sky got really dark, and Mama said Gabbi must have told us it was time to come in earlier because she knew it was going to rain. I asked her how Gabbi knew that, and she said God put something in Gabbi called an "instinct" that let her know when it was going to rain because getting wet can make us sick. I told her that I didn't know it was going to rain, and Mama said that when I got bigger that I would. But for now, Mama said I needed to listen to Gabbi and come inside when she told me to. Sure enough, then wind started blowing , and then it rained really hard. Mama said she was going to close the barn door for a little while so that the rain wouldn't come into the barn. She said she would open it back up when it stopped raining, because we needed lots of fresh air to keep us healthy. Staying healthy sure seems complicated!


Well, I gotta go. Mama said she would help me figure out how to put more pictures on my blog, and I will do that again soon.

Love,

Pansy

















































No comments:

Post a Comment